Common substitutions for a Gluten Free Pantry
- Butter/Shortening- coconut oil – coconut oil is a healthy non saturated fat that has hundreds of uses and benefits to our bodies.
- Eggs- Ground flax seed – 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tablespoons Warm Water = 1 Egg
- Salt- Himalayan salt – Himalayan salt is ionic and full of minerals that hydrate your body.
- Whipping crème – Unsweetened Coconut milk. The coconut flavor is more subtle than one might expect and the texture is rich and silky. Use it in risottos, muffins, pasta sauces, and soups. Or add a squeeze of lemon juice and you’ve got a sub-in for buttermilk in any recipe.
- Flour- Almond flour, Hazelnut flour, Millet flour, buckwheat flour and oat flour
This delicately flavored, versatile flour can be used for pancakes, waffles, and cakes. You can buy it pre-made or make your own by grinding blanched almonds very fine in a food processor. (The coarser the grind, the more crumbly the end product will be.)
This flour is great for quick breads, including muffins, scones, and cookies. The nut flour adds healthy fats and protein, and the overall flavor is more complex. This is a very flavorful flour so be sure to balance it with milder nut flour, such as almond.
Many of us think of millet as the main ingredient in birdseed, but in places like Asia and Africa, it’s a mainstay grain. This flour adds a bright sweetness to muffins and cakes. For the best results, blend it with superfine flour such as brown rice or almond.
Gluten is a protein, so you want to seek out alternative good-quality protein flours, such as buckwheat, when going gluten-free. Its earthy flavor will mellow desserts made with tart fruits, and it tastes great with chocolate. Use buckwheat flour in combination with milder-tasting flour, such as brown rice.
Oat and wheat flour have similar flavors, though you will find that oat flour has a heartier flavor than all-purpose wheat flour. It is also somewhat sweeter than whole wheat flour, so you may consider adding fewer sweeteners to your recipe.
Want to eat gluten free and interested in trying our meal plans? No sweat. Meals That Transform will customize your meal plan to your needs!