Summer is open house season for showing homes. Instead of your every day average open house, where potential buyers simply walk through your home while you and/or your realtor stand off to the side hoping someone will be impressed enough to hand you a check right there, you can maximize your open house by making it an event that home shoppers will remember!
Here are some basic easy tips that I find helpful when I am asked to help create a welcoming open house, that can definitely increase the opportunity for the bids to come rolling in!
- Accent the best features of your home with lighting. Turn all the overhead lights on in your home to make the home feel warm and more approachable. Turning on additional hanging lights and under shelf lighting if you have them, over your most positive accents like the kitchen island, cooktop, dining room or built-in shelves, will draw the eye of buyers toward those areas to help them see themselves utilizing that space if they purchased the home.
- Make sure your home is sanitized before the open house, so that it is a beautiful showing and so that people will be able to see themselves moving right in without delay.
- Make sure you have no clutter visible if possible. Clutter makes spaces feel disorganized and dirty, which is the exact opposite of what you want people to feel while deciding if your house will become their forever home. Spend two weeks going through the clutter prior to the open house and pitch anything that you wouldn't want to pack in a box and take with you to a new space. This way, you start off your move to a new space organized and feeling clear headed.
- Don't burn a candle. People are very sensitive to smell and if they are walking around your home with an aroma that is causing them a headache or making them nauseous, the only thing they will remember when thy leave is how much they wanted to get out of the house! (never good when trying to create a positive memorable experience).
- Do bring the outside inside with a beautiful floral arrangement that makes potential buyers smile and feel welcome. Everyone loves a beautifully arranged bouquet and if it is set on a table next to the marketing material for the home when they first walk in the door, they will greet you and/or your realtor with a smile as they "stop to smell the roses."
- Home shopping can be long and tiring. Every potential buyer is in a different situation, but every buyer can get tired when it's been days, weeks or months driving to open houses in search for the perfect home. Let your attendees know that they are guests in your home and are invited to make your home their home, by offering them something delicious to re-energize them as they take a tour of your home. It doesn't have to be much, it can be something as simple as a piece of fruit and some water bottles, but they will remember that you and/or your realtor made the effort to think of them, and an emotional connection is sometimes all it takes for the perfect buyer to feel at home and make an offer.
My staff and I at MealsThatTransform.com love to cater both large events and more intimate events like open houses. Our success is your success! If we can provide a beautiful spread for your guests of organic, fresh, local, GMO & gluten free fruits, veggies, dips, protein bars and shakes to revitalize your guests, and create a beautiful event for you that brings the right buyer to your home, then we have succeeded together! We loved doing the event pictured above and we are so happy that our Salt Lake City community of Transformers invites us to be part of their big life events. It's an honor.