The Devil Wears Wellness
by Angela Martindale
Itâ€™s 6 A.M. and youâ€™ve over slept! You hit your alarm, race out of bed, b-line for the closest, pull a shirt off a hanger that is less wrinkled than the shirt on your floor, shimmy into the same skirt that you wore two days ago, (reasoning with yourself that itâ€™s still clean because you â€śdidnâ€™t really go anywhere in itâ€ť). You grab the pair of heels you bought atÂ TJ MaxxÂ two weeks ago (with the price tag sticker still in the left shoe), throw your hair up in a top knot, grab a piece of toast and your laptop, and rush out the door for theÂ Uber. Standing there, you notice that the girl next to you looks like she stepped out of VOGUE. As you see your reflection in the window of the car pulling up, you feel like Anne Hathaway in the opening scene of The Devil Wears Prada.
In the car, while envying the VOGUE-like model sitting next you, you see a sign for a gym and think, â€śWho has time for the gym? I donâ€™t even haveÂ timeÂ to look through my closet for an unwrinkled shirt?â€ť Closing your eyes for 2 minutes, you picture yourself living an energetic, organized, healthy life and sigh! The car stops, you get out and rush to your tiny cubicle to accomplish dreams of climbing the corporate ladder, inventing the next crazy tech app, or becoming your own boss of everything and making millions of dollars one day!
As a nutritionist and wellness coach, I tell my busy clients, â€śTo live a quality life we have to be organizedâ€ś. Being organized inspires healthy minds and bodies, and creates successful work/life balance. How do we do it? Like Meryl Streep in our The Devil Wears Prada scenario, self awareness, hard work and envisioning the vision can make it happen (even without an assistant).
Are you rolling your eyes atÂ anotherÂ suggestion of goal setting? Stop it. Trust me-no matter how much you fight it, â€śenvisioning your visionâ€ť is a proven method of sorting through what you want, donâ€™t want and need to do, to achieve theÂ lifestyleÂ you desire.
- Carve out some time for yourself on a weekend or after work. Pull out your journal or pad of paper (old school style) and your pen (remember those things?) and just sit quietly for a couple of minutes.Â ReflectÂ on the things you want out of your life (emotions, dreams, financial aspirations, romantic despairs, physical needs) and start writing them down in columns labeled Physical, Financial, Physiological, Spiritual, and Emotional. You are responsible!
- Search magazines for words and images that reflect yourÂ goals, cut them out, glue them on a board and put the board where you will be able to visualize your goals daily.
We must see it toÂ believeÂ it right? We internalize things much more effectively if we have a visual, which is the reason image quotes are so popular online. Itâ€™s also the reason that visual affirmation is such an important tool in goal achievement. After all, Meryl Streepâ€™s Devil Wears Prada character, didnâ€™t get to be who she was by simply sitting in the back of her limo wondering if she was good enough, because affirmation was her daily mantra. So, here we go!
- Write down a list of all of your positive attributes. Are you funny? Can you make someone smile? Are you genuine,Â a loyal friend, an adventurer, a strong willed person, a kind person? Are you a creative thinker or a hard workingÂ employee?Â Write it down.
- Now pick three of those attributes to focus on. Write the words, â€śI AM â€śdown on a sticky note, followed by an attribute.Â Put it on your mirror forÂ daily positive reinforcement. (After all, who doesnâ€™t get inspired by seeing words like â€śI AM BOSSâ€ť on a daily basis?)
- Add an additional â€śI AMâ€ť attribute to your mirror every week without taking the others down. Soon youâ€™ll have your ownÂ magic mirror telling you howÂ amazingÂ you are!
This is perhaps one of myÂ favorite transformationÂ tips to share. De-cluttering your environment is one of the most liberating acts you can do. Anne Hathaway didnâ€™t get to go to Paris Fashion Week because she was a mess in frumpy clothes and living with her boyfriend in a junkie apartment. No, she went because she pulled it together, de-cluttered her mind and put on her cleanly pressed little black dress from her newly organized closet. We simply think and feel better when our homes are clean, clothes hung up, shoes are matched and our junk, de-junkified! So letâ€™s get started!
- Grab a box of big black garbage bags, or paper bags
- Go to each room in the house and start going through drawers and closets to find clothes and items that you havenâ€™t wornÂ or used in two years. (I suggest starting with your bedroom closet because your room is meant to be the place you comeÂ home to for relaxation, not more stress).
- Pull out old magazines and books and put them in a bag to donate to the local library. Go through your junk drawer andÂ get rid of dried up ink pens and random items. Go through your office and shred old receipts, letters and used up noteÂ pads. Go through your pantry and throw away any expired food. Do the same thing in your bathroom and make-upÂ drawers.
- Hang up clothes and color coordinate your closet for faster grab and go visuals. Buy organizers for your bathroom drawersÂ and make up. Limit your magazine and book buying to two or three at a time and donate them before buying more to keepÂ the pile low. Spend junk food money on fresh fruit. Have a space in your junk drawer for your keys so you find themÂ quickly in the AM before you leave for work. Its small steps like these that can transform your life long term.
With an organized environment, goals and positive self-talk, you will have more time to focus on being healthier. When everything is in its place, you save time on the clock instead of wasting it trying to find things. This extra time might even allow you to make it to the gym or prepare your lunch (what?)!
TheseÂ 3 tipsÂ lead to a more positive, confident, goal driven woman. A woman that is mentally healthier and physically more attractive, exuding poise and empowerment-two qualities that never go out of style. So chicks, if you want more kick-butt Devil Wears Prada Paris Fashion Week moments and less â€śOMG, I overslept, bedhead, wrinkled shirtâ€ť moments, than go for the wellness make-over from the inside out, and experience how these small changes, make a big impact on how you tackle that Uber ride in the morning!